- General information
- List of necessary documents
- Tourist visas
- Business visas, student visas, visas for cultural, sport, scientific and other exchanges
- Transit visas
- Homestay (visitors) visas
To enter the Russian Federation a foreigner should obtain a Russian visa in one of the Russian consular offices in Tokyo, Sapporo, Osaka or Niigata.
Each visa is valid for one person only. Visa is valid for a fixed term (in accordance with an invitation or a tourist confirmation). It can allow a single, double or multiple entry to Russia.
A visa application should be made directly to the Consulate-General in person or via travel agent (mailed applications are not accepted).
Business hours of the Consulate-General are Monday to Friday from 14:00 till 16:00.
Further inquires can be made by phone (011-561-3171).
List of necessary documents
Passport or other travel document in original. The validity term of the Passport should be no less then 6 month from the date of expiration of the Russian visa and the Passport should contain at least two blank pages.
If you are accompanied by a child, who does not have his/her own passport, he/she should be included in one of the parents' passport. If a child is 4 years old or senior the parents' passport should have his/her photograph.
All applicants are to fill in the visa application form using this http://visa.kdmid.ru web-link (all due helpful notices are given in english, russian and japanese), then print it out and bring to our consulates with all other due documents for further procedures.
One passport size photo (3,5x4,5 cm.), attached to the visa application form.
Citizens of the United States, Canada, Australia, Georgia and British nationals applying for Russian visas should submit to the Consular section a special application form. All the questions should be answered.
Citizens of the countries which are members to the Shengen agreement (Austria, Belgium, Germany, Greece, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, France) and citizens of Finland, Estonia, Czech Republic, Bulgaria and Israel should have a medical insurance, valid in Russia. Please submit to the visa section the following documents:
- Filled out medical insurance card containing information on your insurance company, which insurance is valid in Russia;
- Copy of the insurance policy (a certificate from the insurance company with the information on the insurance period).
- Citizens of ALGERIA, AFGHANISTAN, ANGOLA, BANGLADESH, CHAD, CHINA, DPRK, ETHIOPIA, INDIA, IRAQ, IRAN, NEPAL, NIGERIA, PAKISTAN, RWANDA, SIRIA, SOMALIA, SRI LANKA, TURKEY, VIET NAM should also submit following documents:
- Stamp or seal of the Japanese immigration authorities confirming the validity of their stay in Japan for more then 6 month (If an applicant enters Japan with short term visitor status he/she can get a Russian visa only in his/her home country);
- Air tickets in original (there and back);
- Originals of all other submitted documents (e.g. in case of tourism - originals of the voucher and of the visa confirmation).
Business visas, student visas, visas for cultural, sport, scientific and other exchanges
To obtain a business visa the original of the official letter of invitation issued by the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs should be submitted to the visa section.
If an applicant is planning to stay in the Russian Federation for more than 3 month a certificate of HIV-infection test negative results should be submitted to the Consulate-General alongside with their documents (the certificate is valid for 3 month from the day of test).
[back to top]
an original or a copy of airline tickets;
a copy of the passport page with the visa of the country you are going to and/or from.
Transit visas for passengers who travel from Japan through Russia to CIS countries, which do not have a diplomatic or consular establishment in Japan, are issued only if the Consulate-General receives a fax confirmation directly from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the respective country, which confirms that an applicant will get his/her entry visa at the point of the border control.
Homestay (Visitor's) visas
To obtain a homestay visa the original of the official letter of invitation from your friend or relative in Russia issued by the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs should be submitted to the visa section.
Visa fee for Japanese national
Type of visa
Number of working days processing
6-10 working days*
4-5 working days
3 working days
*If a weekend or a Russian national holiday comes in between the processing time is further extended for the duration of the weekend/holiday.
**Only Japanese nationals are free from the visa fee. Citizens of other countries may be charged an extra consular fee on the basis of reciprocity.
Visa processing fee is not refundable.